Friends, you must have traveled by train at one time or the other. Rail is the most widely used mode of transport in India. Today we are going to share with you some things about Indian Railways which you will definitely like. So let’s see about Indian Railways.
- Railways in India were established on 8 May 1945.
- The headquarter of Indian Railways is in Delhi.
India’s first train
- India’s first train was the Red Hill Railway.
- This train ran from Red Hills to Chintadripet bridge in 1837.
- This train was used to transport granite.
- The first train for the public ran on 16 April 1853 from Bori Bunder, Mumbai to Thane, a distance of 34 km.
- A public holiday was also observed on this day.
The fastest train in India
- Vande Bharat Express runs between New Delhi to Varanasi, speed is 180 kilometers per hour.
- Nilgiri Express’s average speed of 10 kmph.
Most delayed train.
- The Guwahati Trivandrum Express runs late by 10-12 hours.
longest route train
- Dibrugarh to Kanyakumari Vivek Express cover a distance of 4,286 km.
- The longest railway platform is the Gorakhpur railway station in Uttar Pradesh, which is 1,366 km long.
Shortest route train
- For 3 kms between Nagpur to Ajni.
- Trivandrum Nizamuddin Rajdhani Express Vadodara to Kota.
Full off stops the train
- Howrah Amritsar Express stops at a maximum number of 115 stations.
India’s first electric train
- On 3 February 1925, she ran between Bombay Victoria Terminal and Kurla Harbour.
India’s first railway track
- On 21 August 1847, The Great Indian Peninsula Railway built a 56 km long railway line in collaboration with the East India Company.
- This track is used to connect Bombay with Khandesh and Berar.
- For the first time in 1853, the first passenger train ran on this track.
India’s largest railway junction
- Mathura Junction.
India’s first railway station
- Bori Bunder railway station in Mumbai from where the first passenger train started in 1853.
Highest railway station
- Darjeeling’s Ghoom Railway Station is 2,258 meters high.
- Its construction started in 1879 and was completed by 4 April 1881.
Railway station with the longest name
- Venkatanarasimharajuvaripeta Railway Station near Chennai.
Railway station with the shortest name
- IB Railway Station near Jharsuguda, Odisha.
- Od (OD) railway station near Anand, Gujarat.
Two states one railway station
- Navapur railway station, half of which falls in Maharashtra and the other half in Gujarat.
Two railway stations in one place
- Shrirampur and Belapur railway stations in Ahmednagar district of Maharashtra are opposite to each other on a trek.
Most expensive luxury train
- Maharaja Express.
India’s first bullet train
- Will run from Mumbai to Ahmedabad by the end of 2023.
- The speed of this train will be 320 km per hour.
- The journey from Mumbai to Ahmedabad will be completed in two hours.
Biggest railway disaster
- On June 6, 1981, 800 people died when a passenger train fell into the Baramati river in Bihar.